Click to Download: 2017 NHS Information and Application
From Mr. Ames, National Honor Society Advisor
(992-5502 / email@example.com)
Dear Bangor High School Junior,
We are preparing to consider students for the National Honor Society, which is based upon a candidate possessing outstanding qualities of Scholarship, Leadership, Character, and a strong previous and current commitment to community service.
Initial requirements for NHS consideration:
- A student must have completed at least one semester of academic work at BHS
- A cumulative GPA of 3.2 (UNWEIGHTED) or better at the time of candidacy
- Completion and submission (in detail as directed) of the 2017 NHS Consideration Form and Submission Cover
- Due dates and times (strict adherence):
- April 25: 7:30 – 8:00 a.m. & 2:05 – 2:30 p.m. in the BHS Main Office
- April 26: 2:05 – 2:30 p.m. in BHS Main Office
Extended requirements for NHS consideration:
- All documents must be submitted in paper form.
- All documents submitted for consideration must be keyboarded in 12 pt font and must be submitted as single sided pages only.
- Every PAGE submitted must have the student’s name clearly printed in the upper right hand corner of the page.
- PERSONAL COMMITMENT: A one-paragraph essay detailing why the candidate should be considered for membership into the National Honor Society.
- LEADERSHIP: A detailed list of the candidate’s leadership experiences and positions since the 9th grade year. Include both school and non-school leadership experiences. Required details include the name of the organization(s), the candidate’s role / position with the organization, the date / time period of the leadership, and the name and contact information (phone, email) of an adult affiliated with the organization who can verify the leadership. Student verification is not acceptable.
- SERVICE: A record of previous and continuing service to the school and / or community is essential for membership consideration. Candidates must provide a detailed list of service experiences, including the date / times / frequency of the service experiences, the nature of the candidate’s service, and the signature and contact information (phone, email) of an adult who can verify the candidate’s service commitment.
- CHARACTER: A record of outstanding character while at Bangor High School is absolutely necessary for membership consideration. A student’s character record will be reviewed by members of the faculty and by the Faculty Advisory Council to the NHS. Candidates and a parent / guardian must acknowledge understanding of this review as instructed on the 2017 NHS Candidate Form and Submission Cover.
SELECTION PROCESS AND NOTIFICATION:
Members of the Faculty Advisory Committee of the National Honor Society, Bangor High School Chapter, will review all forms submitted as instructed by the required date. Each candidate will be voted upon by closed ballot. Candidates will be notified of the decision of the Committee as a statement of “Yes” or “No.” No further discussion of any vote will be considered. Candidates and a parent / guardian must acknowledge understanding of this review as instructed on the 2017 NHS Candidate Form and Submission Cover.
Questions may be directed to Mr. Bill Ames, NHS Adviser (992-5502 / firstname.lastname@example.org)