Bangor School Department Laptop Home Use Procedures
BHS Chromebook 1-to-1 Handbook
A laptop is being provided to your child to allow them access to technology at home as well as at school. The following are expectations for appropriate use of the laptop.
- It is the responsibility of the student and parents/guardians to know and follow the school’s laptop use expectations while in school or at home. Expectations are provided to students when they receive the laptop. Parents may contact their child’s principal if they have further questions.
- The BSD Student Acceptable Use Policy (IJNDN, IJNDB-R) extends to home use of laptops. However, the school does not provide Internet access for home use. The Chromebook does filter websites that may be considered inappropriate or unsuitable for student use.
- The laptop issued to each student is an educational tool and should only be used in that capacity. Students will have no expectations of privacy in their use of the laptop computers.
- When a student brings a laptop home, it is with the expectation that it will be used in a common family location so that adult supervision can be maintained. Parents/Guardians have the right to their child’s login password in order to maintain supervision of the student’s computer usage at home. Laptop use is for student use only. Other family members are not allowed to handle or use the laptop at any time, unless for supervision purposes.
- Students are responsible for any use of the device. If a friend or family member misuses the device, the student will be the one disciplined for the inappropriate use.
- The student/household is responsible for all damage to the Chromebook, case, and charger, including but not limited to spills, drops, and lost devices. The IT department may decide to use the parts of the computer and purchase a new device if the cost of the replacement is close to the cost of the new device. The repair cost for the student will be only for the part damaged.
- For example, if the cost of replacing a damaged circuit board is 90% of that of a new device, then a new device would be ordered instead of replacing the board. The student would only be charged the cost of the board.
- If the Chromebook is to be taken out of state, please inform IT so we will not be concerned with the device location outside of Maine.. The IT department can be reached at (207) 992-5564.
- If a laptop is stolen or lost while signed out by a student, it must be reported immediately to the IT Department. The IT department will turn on tracking to attempt to locate the device. If a device is found, please inform IT so tracking can be turned off.
- Before unenrolling from school, students are required to return the device, case, and charger. The Bangor Police Department may be informed and asked to retrieve the Chromebook, case, and/or charger if all components are not returned.
- If the student is a high school student and does not have their assigned device at the school, they may be allowed to borrow a loaner device (if available) for the school day for up to two instances throughout the school year. Any additional loaner instances will need to be approved by the assistant principal.
- In grades 9-11, students may take the Chromebook home over the summer. The student is still expected to abide by the Acceptable Use Policy during the summer, and is financially responsible for any damage. If the student does not return to the school department in the fall the device must be returned or it will be reported stolen to the police department.
- Failure to comply with this policy and/or other policies and guidelines related to computer use may result in a student’s laptop sign-out privileges being revoked.
Chromebook Home Use Permission Form
A Chromebook laptop is being provided to your child as part of an initiative to provide student access to technology at home as well as at school. Please note laptops will not be assigned to students until form is completed and returned.